Monday, June 28, 2010

How the World Cup solved my moderation problem


I’ve fallen down on the job as a blogger lately… I’m sorry! But I’m back on the boat now. One of the reasons I haven’t written anything lately is that I really wanted to see if my experiment with drinking in moderation would work out. So far, it has. I think so many months off really helped me put some distance and perspective on the whole situation, and now I’m back and better than ever! So how did the World Cup do this for me? Well, in South Korea this world Cup has been a big deal. So of course Dan and my friends want to go watch it at the bar. And I want to go too! So I decided to drink one drink every half (that’s 45 minutes). This works perfectly, my body has plenty of time to metabolize and I get just a bit of a buzz. So we’ve had quite a few successful nights out, just having a few drinks and going home early (you know, 3am). Overall, I think I’m just getting back to my normal self!

In other lifestyle news, we’ve also been eating a lot less meat and generally being healthier which has also helped my motivation to not drink so much. Who wants to ruin a great diet with excess calories in alcohol? I’ve also been taking a Pilates class twice a week and it is AWESOME! I completely forgot how great a difficult workout feels afterward. I can’t wait to have more time to workout! I really crave endorphins, whether it’s from a hard workout or a night out in the club, so when I get that feeling in a healthy way it helps keep me on the right track.

I think this time in life (late twenties) is difficult because I’ve already achieved so much of what I set out to do in my teens (graduate college, travel, get a steady job) and it feels like I should have everything figured out by now. But the truth is I’m still learning and growing, setting new goals and figuring everything out. I just consider myself SO lucky to be in the position I’m in, to be able to have such a good time (even too much of a good time!) with such fun people, not to mention the ability to travel and live “the dream” as they say. Life is a little scary, going back to the states is pretty much the most daunting thing EVER, in my opinion, but it’s all about change.

No comments:

Post a Comment