Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Thinking of Teaching in Korea?

Before you decide to teach in Korea, check out this blog. This guy taught at an all girls Middle School in Anseong (probably one of the easier jobs in Korea) for one year and writes in detail about what the work environment is like. Obviously, everyone has a different experience, but I would agree with 95% of what he has to say. I would also like to say that teaching in public school is a much better job than teaching in a private hogwon, and I would NEVER recommend someone to even think about working in one. Why? Less vacation. More work. Period.

I have had a very similar experience to him... I came here with an optimistic attitude, I enjoy teaching, I am over qualified and I strive to do a good job. I'm leaving with a very negative attitude about Korean culture and I truly hope I never have to come back. Anyway, check it out! Just keep in mind, he is strictly talking about the work environment, not living in Korea or anything else outside of work! A

3 comments:

  1. I actually came here because my brother lived here for about 18 months and hated every minute. I wanted to see what it was all about from my own perspective, and I fucking love it.

    I think it is what you make it. If you want to dwell on the shitty things, you're going to have a shitty time. But if you put on a smile, get to know some people, and are open minded to the culture, you might have a good time.

    I don't know about Hagwan, because I work for public school-- but my job is really great. The staff is really warm and open and they constantly ask me if I'll consider staying longer. They really like me, and it's probably because I greet them with a smile every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Danielle^ My blog is about the erratic and unsafe nature of the work and how there is still a large number who are being mistreated. I bet you wouldn't have to ask many of your fellow native teachers before running into a horror story or three.

    I don't necessarily agree that it's what you make of it. Too many Korean co-teachers and admin are used to abusing the system. The environment isn't 'shitty' because peoples' thinking is focused negatively, it was 'shitty' to begin with and never disinfected properly.

    Too many of these stories go untold, too many people keep quiet about their oppression. I would never advise someone to go into a corrupt place. Although your experience is good, I would like to hear the counter-side story from your brother. Between you and your brother: A 50% chance of having a 'shitty' time is still pretty poor odds...

    People do have a good time at some schools, but there's no real way of knowing since everyone is pretty much dropped into the middle of the unknown to work; A new teacher would be very lucky to even know who the last native teacher was. The average new native teacher will know nothing about the past of the school he or she is about to work in. Last I checked, that's a sign of trying to cover-up things.

    As an aside, I think middle schools and high schools tend to be the worst to teach at in my opinion. They don't have a curriculum / book / interactive CD to do most of the teaching or babysitting for you. The material has to be made from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree about Korea being a safe country. Korea is the rape capital of Asia. And don't forget about Korea's use of blood money to buy their way out of charges.

    ReplyDelete